small protein composed of 3 amino acids called cysteine, glutamic acid and glycine, produced normally by the body in response to today’s environment such as pollution in the air we breath, water we drink, chemicals & pesticides in the food we eat that cause damages in our cells & system. “small molecule made up of linked amino acids and anti-oxidant naturally produced in the body. It has been widely heralded for its importance for good health and long life. Glutathione in increased dose posts a remarkable good 'side effect' such as SKIN WHITENING". “the greater the exposure to toxins, the faster the body uses up its supply glutathione. Without the protection of Glutathione, cells die at a faster rate, making people age quicker & putting them at risk for toxin induced diseases including cancer.”
(Antioxidant, Anti-aging and for Fairer Skin)
COMMON NAME: GSH
CLINICAL NAME: Glutathione
SYNONYM: Reduced L- glutathione (note: there is no such thing as unreduced glutathione)
CHEMICAL NAME: Gamma-L-glutamyl – L – cysteninylglycine or L-7-glutanyl – cysteinylglycine
DEFINITION: L-Glutathione is biologically active sulfur amino acid tripeptide compound consisting of:
· L-Cysteine · L-Glutamic acid · Glycine
- present in virtually in all mammalian tissue - mostly in liver where it detoxifies many harmful compounds to be excreted through the bile - red and white blood cells - lungs - intestinal tract
PRIMARY BIOLOGICAL FUNCTIONS:
- to act as a non-enzymatic reducing agent to help keep cysteine thiol side chains in a reduce state on the surface of proteins - involved in the synthesis & repair of DNA - helps to recycle Vit. C and Vit. E - blocks free radical damage - enhances the anti-oxidant activity of Vit. C - facilitates the transport of amino acids - plays a critical role in the detoxification of harmful compounds - is the base material for several other key antioxidant enzyme systems such as glutathione-peroxidase, glutathione-reductase and glutathione-transferase - Body (AID) A - ntioxidant I - mmune booster D - etoxifier
THEREFORE, declines in glutathione concentrations in intracellular fluids correlate directly with indicators of aging.
Glutathione is derived from L-cysteine, L-glutamic acid and Glycine and is not consumed directly as a food constituent.
DEFICIENCY OF GLUTATHIONE CAUSES:
- coordination problems - generalized cell damage - mental disorders - various nervous system disorders - tremors and twitching - red cells are prone to burst - whit blood cells decline in function - nerve tissue degenerates
DEFICIENCY OF INTRACELLULAR GLUTATHIONE has been associated with a variety of conditions including
- AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) - Alcohol induced liver diseases - Some forms of cancer
- support of antioxidant process - modify the normal pigmentation pathway from eumelanin to pheomelanin
As antioxidant and as anti-aging dose: 10mg per kilogram bodyweight per day As skin whitener: 20-40mg per kilo bodyweight per day in 2-3 divided doses.
Note: Best taken with preferably 30 minutes before meals or 1 hour after meals. May be taken together with other antioxidants such as Vit C, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Grapeseed Oil Extracts 1,000 mg, Vit E and Vit A to prevent glutathione oxidation and regenerate oxidized glutathione.
Generally considered to be free of side-effects. No untoward side-effects nor interactions with oral administration reported even in prolonged use. Very SAFE. Lucida is classified as food not a herbal or drugs. Made from genetically synthesized molecules. The only reported side- effect is SKIN WHITENING when taken in increased doses.
No toxicities have been reported or suspected as being associated with glutathione.
None known, except for use during some forms of chemotherapy and radiation where antioxidants are contraindicated due to their inhibition of the free radical formation which is an integral part of the therapeutic mechanism.
Nutrient affected drug – Cisplatin (Anti Chemotherapeutic agent) and Haloperidol (anti-psychotic drug).
WHO NEEDS GLUTATHIONE:
- smokers - 30 years old is a must - alcoholic drinkers - with low immune system (recovering from sickness and operations) - with liver problems (fatty liver, hepa A, B and C) - with thyroid problems - has history of cataract problems - with low quality and low sperm counts - with cancer (prostate cancer, breast cancer and lung cancer) - post partum patients (mothers who just gave birth) - on chemotherapy recovery - exposed to chemicals / pesticides - who consumes fish oils & VCO
LOW GLUTATHIONE LEVELS ARE FOUND IN:
- Aging population - Immunocompromised individuals - With atherosclerosis - Male infertility - Pregnancy complications - Hyperthyrodism - Liver problems - Cataracts - Cancer - Alzheimers, Parkinsons, M.S. - Results of oxidative stress due to diseases, drugs pollution, radiation and smoking
IS IT SAFE IN THE LIVER?
“ The higher GSH content, the greater the liver’s capacity to detoxify harmful chemicals.” “ When exposed to chemicals which damages the liver, concentration of GSH decreases.” “ Reduction in GSH makes liver susceptible to damage.”
Dr. Murray’s Newsletter 7/2003
“ A small study in 8 patients of LIVER CANCER using oral GSH showed modest benefits when given daily amounts of 500mg GSH.”
Dalhoff, Ranek, et. Al., 1992
Can a person taking contraceptive pills take Lucida?
Yes. Lucida-DS is classifies as food and will not interfere with contraceptive pills.
IS IT SAFE TO THOSE PERSONS WITH THYROID PROBLEMS?
YES. “…both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are associated with enhanced oxidative stress involving antioxidants.”
Reschu, Helsel, et. Al. November, 2002
“…has a direct relationship with free radical formation and inverse relationship with levels of erythrocute glutathione and glutathione peroxidase in human subjects.”
Turkish Journal of Endocrinology & Metabolism, Feb.,2001
Is it Safe for Pregnant Women?
Glutathione is generally safe since it is classified as processed food. There have been no specific data established yet. But there are reports that clinicians use glutathione for better fetus development because it is an anti-oxidant. “Glutathione status plays an important role in the development of fetus because it controls cell differentation, proliferation and cell death. Placenta has a significant amount of G-S transferase which is capable of detoxification. Supplementation can decrease the incidence of birth defects and protect the fetus from damage.”
The Glutathione Report, Priya Shah, April 2004
GLUTATHIONE AND HEART/ NEUROLOGIC DISEASES/ DIABETIC MELLITUS “CATALASE AND GSH Peroxidase were shown to potently decrease neurotoxity”
Journal of Neurochemistry, Vol. 87, Nov. 6, 2003, 1527-34
“Low levels of Glutathione Peroxidase activity in erythrocytes is associated with an increased risk of Cardiovascular events in patients with coronary diseases.”
Dosage computation as ANTIOXIDANT/ ANTI-AGING: 10 mg/kg/day Ex. 50kg male 50kg body weight x 10mg = 500 mg/day
Dosage computation for SKIN WHITENING (double increased dose) LUCIDA -DS
20-40 mg/kg/day Ex. 50 kg female 50kg body wt x 30mg (median of 20 & 40) = 1500mg/ day in 3 divided doses Duration of Intake for skin whitening - LUCIDA-DS Medium brown skin: 1-3 months Dark brown skin: 3-6 months Very brown skin: 6-12 months Black skin: 2 years
Upon reaching desired skin color, maintenance dose of once a day.
IMPORTANT: Grapeseed oil extract should be taken 1-2x daily Why? GSH once it passes the stomach is oxidized and it needs a very powerful antioxidants such as grapseed oil extract to regenerate this oxidized glutathione called glutathione disulfied (GSSG) into GSH. Note: Taking glutathione alone is not effective. Grapeseed must be in oil format to be effective. Grapeseed in powder formats are less effective or even not effective at all.
What the Experts Say about Glutathione:
· “…that everyone should take antioxidant supplements and recommends Glutathione, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Grapeseed oil extracts, Vitamin C, E and Vit A per day as a part of that regimen”
Dr. Anthony Verlangieri, Director of the Atherosclerosis Reseach Laboratory and Professor of Pharmacology Toxicology ot the Univ. of Mississippi states
· GSH (as in Lucida-DS) is one of the 14 “Superfoods” listed in SuperFoods Rx : Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life, co-authored by Dr. Steven Pratt, an authority on food and ageing. · “Without GSH (as in Lucida-DS) , other important antioxidants such as Vitamins A, C and E cannot do their job adequately to protect your body against disease”
Allan Somersall, Ph.D., M.D., and Gustavo Bounous, M.D. FRCS(c) in Breakthrough in Cell Defense.
· “Blood GSH levels rose nearly 50% in healthy individuals taking 500mg of Vit. C because it raises Glutathione by helping the body manufacture it and at the same time prevent GSH from being oxidized.”
Dr. Murray’s 7/30/2003
ALPHA LIPOIC ACID
Recommended dose: 50mg- 500/day
· The only antioxidant that can boost the level of GSH- Life Extension Foundation, Dec. 1999 · Alpha Lipoic Acid also helps increase GSH levels. – Dr. Murray’s Newsletter 7/30/2003 · Antioxidant that prevents free radical damage, protects our liver, slows aging. · Not only protect nerves but regenerates it. Has the ability to serve as a continuous supplier of cysteine.
DEFINITION OF TERMS: 1. ANTIOXIDANT- compound that halts oxidative stress by donating its electrons to neutralize free radicals before they can cause damage. 2. OXIDATIVE STRESS- a damaging condition that occurs when there are too many free radicals and not enough antioxidants to neutralize them.
3. FREE RADICAL- a molecule or molecule fragment with an unpaired electron produced by the body and pollutants that causes damage to the body.(Click here)